Thursday, June 11, 2015

TheWonkyChef: Crock Pot Whole Chicken


You might have noticed from the title... But today we are talking about food. Because after beauty products, food is my second favorite thing. Between the post I have for you today and my announcement about joining a book club, you could say I'm branching out... Just a little. A few weeks ago my girl, Lisa, from Blush and Back Roads posted her favorite pulled pork recipe (view her recipe, here) on her blog. So I tried her version, and I loved it! Plus I thought it was a great idea for a blog post and wanted to share one of my favorite recipes with you guys... And, who knows, maybe I'll share a different recipe every month... But ONLY if they are good ones!!! 

DISCLAIMER: Before we get started, I just want to say... I am by no means an ACTUAL chef. But I do cook for the family 5 days a week and I'm constantly looking for new and different recipes to try out so that I can avoid cooking the SAME DAMN THING ALL THE TIME. (I love my mom, but when I was a kid... We used to eat chicken 365 days a year.) When cooking for 6 people it's hard to find a recipe that pleases everyone's tastebuds. Anyways, my point is... That I am not a chef, and I am not trying to take credit for creating a recipe. I am simply sharing the ones I've found that myself and my family enjoy... 

I found this Whole Chicken Crock Pot recipe on food.com. It's pretty easy and pretty simple (especially since the crock pot does most the work). I tweaked a couple ingredients, so if you want to see the original recipe, check it out here. I absolutely love this recipe, but most importantly, so do the kiddos!!! The chicken ends up so moist and juicy, it's delish! Hope you enjoy!!!

Ingredients:
  • 3 tsp. salt or seasoning salt 
  • 2 tsp. paprika
  • 1 tsp. onion powder
  • 1 tsp. thyme
  • 1 tsp. white pepper
  • 1 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1/2 tsp. black pepper
  • 1 large roasting chicken
  • 1 cup chopped onions
Directions:
  1. Combine spices in a small bowl.
  2. Remove giblets (what a terrible word) from chicken and clean it.
  3. Rub spice mixture onto chicken.
  4. Refrigerate overnight.*
  5. Place chopped onion in the bottom of the crock pot, when ready to cook.
  6. Add chicken.**
  7. Cook on low 4-8 hours.***
  8. Eat and Enjoy!!!
*I have made this recipe refrigerating the chicken and forgetting that step, I don't find it makes much of a difference. It tastes great either way! So if you are in a rush (or if you are forgetful like me) you can skip the overnight refrigeration.
**You do not need to add any liquid, the chicken will create it's own juices.
***The exact amount of time will depend on the size of your chicken and the size of your crock pot. The recipe calls for the use of a pop-up timer if needed.

Crock Pot Whole Chicken

Let me know if you try it out!!! xoxoxo
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Love using my crock pot. I'll have to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know how you like it whenever you decide to give it a try!

      Delete