Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Wonky Brow; My Eyebrow Staples


I have a wonky brow.  Yup, I said it… Wonky.  Don't believe me???  Check it out for yourself…
^-----Normal Brow
FML Brow-----^














It drives me CRAZZZZZZY… So crazy that I took myself down to my nearest MAC store and begged to be taught what to do… (Okay, I didn't actually beg… I just asked).  I had already tried filling my brows in with pencil and those weird colored gels.  I do not like either.  For me, pencils are too harsh or the coloring just wasn't right.  And the gels leave my brows looking toooo sparse.  I wanted something that was easier to blend and gave a softer overall look… So my MAC Artist suggested powder.  She pulled out a MAC 266 (Small Angle Brush), picked out two different eyeshadows for me, Espresso and Brun, and showed me her technique for filling in brows (Start from the bottom and work your way up and through with small strokes).  She did a warmer brown on one side and the darker, cooler brown on the other.


I loved both.  So we popped them into a lil' 2-pan palette and off I went…  But not before she left me with these ancient words of wisdom:  Brows are sisters, NOT twins.  (You can apply this rule to eyeliner too).  That means your eyebrows do not have to be perfectly symmetrical… I mean nothing on our bodies is!  (Let's be real, we all have one boob that's smaller than the other… It's all good…)  But you can officially stop stressing if they aren't exactly even.  It's not normal… IJS.  Espresso (on the left) is a warm brown that I use when I like my brows to look more natural.  Brun (on the right) makes more of a statement… Occasionally I combine the two and end up somewhere in-between.
You might be wondering why I made such a big deal about my brows… I mean who even notices them, right?  Wrong.  Your brows frame your face.  I used to hear people say that and think "WTF?!?"… But it's true.  A well maintained brow is the difference between looking polished and unkempt.
^-----Untouched Brow and Filled in Brow ------^
Now for the steps I take…
1. Spoolie- You can use any.  I got mine at Target by Sonia Kashuk for $1.99.  I use this to comb my brows into place before applying powder.

2. Powder-  Like I mentioned before, with my MAC 266 (or any other small angle brush) I start from the bottom and draw small lines with light strokes working my way up but stopping before I actually get to the top of my brow.  Then I work through the arch to the tail.  I have thick enough eyebrows that there is no need for me to create a shape with the powder, I simply fill in.  Another way you can utilize both shades is by using a lighter powder for the front part of the brow and the darker shadow through the arch and tail.
3. Clear Brow Gel-  This is just to seal everything in place.  I use the e.l.f. $1.00 (YES, A DOLLA!!!) gel.  One side says it's for lashes, the other says brows.  I use both sides for my brows.  You can find this at your local Target or on the e.l.f. website.  This is an inexpensive product that works like a dream.
I hope this helped if some of you are struggling with brow products…  And remember, don't be afraid to ask for help when you don't know what or how to do something… Or if everything you've tried just isn't working!!!  What are your thoughts, techniques, or favorite products?  Let me know!!!
xoxoxo
post signature

2 comments:

  1. I am currently using NYX's cake powder for eyebrows. I love it. I don't like the wax it comes with, but the powders are just wonderful. I also use the Soho brand brush to fill it in. One side is the angled brush the other a spoolie. It's my favorite product so far. Powders are great because you can decide how natural or dramatic you want it to look

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried the NYX cake powder before… I'll have to check it out next time I'm in Ulta… But I agree, I love powders for that reason.

      Delete