Thursday, April 23, 2015

What does beauty mean?

I am always drawn to the people who know themselves, exactly who they are, and what they want out of life. Those who have the courage to be "different" and follow through on that regardless of what those around them have to say. Those who aren't afraid to stand out. Those who stay true to themselves at all costs. Those who wear two different socks just because they can... ;-)

It has taken me a long time to get to know myself, but I'm finally getting there. That sounds crazy, right? But it's true. There was a period in my life where I was lost. Where I was dependent upon another person to make me feel good enough, whole, happy. But I wasn't any of those things. I woke up one day and realized I didn't know who I was anymore, or where I had gone, and how this had happened... I made some changes in my life and I am thankful every day that I did. I became a happier person. I smiled more. I laughed more. I remembered what it was to be ME again. To be with friends and family, those who loved me for ME. And to have fun! And get dressed up and go out. And feel beautiful!  

Then, I started my blog because I found a passion. And there was no one there to put me down about it or discourage me. Yes, makeup can be a frivolous thing. It is a luxury. And it isn't something that is necessary to survive. But I love it. I love how it can make an average girl feel like a million dollars. I love how a little bit of eyeliner or mascara can make a woman feel like she can take on the world. I love the transformations and how you can change what you look like as the mood strikes. You can be whoever YOU want to be. It's a happy place for me. I enjoy writing these blog posts, testing out products, shopping for makeup, and the friends I've made who love the same things that I do (Shoutout to all my girls on IG!!!). 

Realizing that we only get ONE chance at this life, I want to stay true to who I am. Most importantly, I want to be true to who I want to BECOME. I know myself, strengths and weaknesses. I accept both and work everyday to be better. I don't always do the right thing. I make mistakes and I fail. But I own them. And I try. For me, my love of makeup and beauty products ties deeply into a time in my life where I began to find myself again. So my definition of beauty is not perfection, or the perfect lip color, or a flawless contour, but being true to YOURSELF,  and knowing exactly WHO you are.

Every person has their own definition of what beauty means and what they find beautiful. That's why sayings like "beauty is in the eye of the beholder", "beauty comes in all shapes and sizes", and "Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it" exist... Each person also has their own story or tale for their reasoning on what beauty is/means to them... What's your story? What does beauty mean to you? xoxoxo.
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments:

  1. Wow, this post made me tear up a little! I feel like you wrote it for me! I was always so hesitant to post a lot about makeup/beauty on my personal IG, mainly because I was always so worried about what people were saying (the people I know in real life that follow me on IG). My own sister even jokingly said that she was going to unfollow me because of all the beauty crap i posted. So that is when I made the 2nd account so I could post about beauty all day, erry day. And guess what? My sister followed that account and still does.
    But a lot of my real life friends aren't into makeup at all, and just don't understand why I own so much, or why I do my makeup every single day! Yes, I could probably go out without a stitch of makeup on, but I probably never will because it just makes me feel so blah. I at least have to wear mascara and undereye concealer!
    So thanks for this post - it came at a great time because I was still hesitant about posting about my blog.....wondering how many people are rolling their eyes right now. But after reading this, I don't really care!
    So glad we met!!! You are a true "instabestie!! xo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awwwwwwww THANKS Lisa!!! If you are the only person who "gets" this, it will still have been worth writing for that very reason. WRITE your blog for you! And don't worry about anyone else... Xoxoxoxoxo!

      Delete