Thursday, March 19, 2015

Tips & Tricks: Waxing and Breakouts...

Most girls (and some guys) get one body part or another waxed on a monthly basis. But certain areas can be more sensitive than others... 
You might find that you either "break out" or get "in-grown hairs" (the same thing can happen when you shave- so don't be scared to wax). And these reactions will vary from person to person, area to area. For example, I can get my brows or arm pits (yes, arm pits. It beats shaving them) waxed and I will have NO reaction. NONE. But if I get my upper lip waxed- I break out- or my Schmundie (that's code for Vajayjay)- I end up with in-grown hairs. TMI? Sorry, but I'm just keeping it real here.
One of the main reason this happens is because when the wax is removed it is taking the top layer of skin with it and leaving your pores wide open. Anything touching the area after that can, and often will, clog your pores and lead to a break out.
Whether you do it yourself or go to a professional... Here are a couple Tips & Tricks I use to reduce my chances of a reaction:
  1. Cleanse and exfoliate BEFORE getting waxed. Make sure all makeup and oils that could clog pores are removed.
  2. Don't double dip. While most wax is anhydrous (that's fancy for "without water") and there is nothing in it bacteria needs or uses to survive, only use the applicator once and then THROW IT OUT.
  3. After waxing, cleanse again. You can use witch hazel (natural antiseptic) or my personal favorite, Oxy pads. My esthetics instructor told me to try these after waxing since I break out, and they HELP. In fact, starting the day after I wax, I use one in the morning before applying skincare and makeup products and one at night after I've thoroughly cleansed my skin.
  4. Apply a hydrocortisone cream to sooth the skin and try to help prevent a breakout.
  5. Skip the makeup. It's just one day. Applying cosmetics to open pores is just asking for a pimple to be born.
  6. Don't TOUCH. As smooth as the skin is, and as good as it feels, DON'T touch. You are a walking germ. Touching, spreads said germ. Don't do it.
  7. Try not to sweat afterwards. Exercise before hand or give yourself the day off (I give you permission).
  8. Starting the following day, gently exfoliate. And continue to exfoliate the area that was waxed regularly. How often you do this, will depend on your skin type. I choose to exfoliate every other day. If you have very sensitive skin you might want to stretch it out a little more.
  9. If a break out or ingrown still occurs. Use tea tree oil on it to dry it out and speed up the healing process. Tea tree oil is known for killing bacteria and fungus and can even reduce allergic skin reactions. If you have sensitive skin you can dilute the tea tree oil with water or, even better, witch hazel.
  10. And of course... Don't try to pop either, pimples or in-growns. That only spreads the bacteria above the skin and below it, plus you run the risk of rupturing the follicle.
A couple other things you want to keep in mind when getting waxed...
  • Don't wax the day OF a big event. Especially if it's your first time.
  • Wax before getting other facial procedures done, like microdermabrasion or a peel. It should not be done after treatments that remove layers of skin to avoid injury.
  • If you use any kind of acne medications, check with your doctor or skincare professional BEFORE getting waxed. Medications like Accutane and Retin-A can make your skin hypersensitive and waxing might not be a good idea.
Do you have any tips for post-wax skincare? Let me know!
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

2 comments: