Thursday, March 12, 2015

One Month, One Palette...

Anastasia Beverly Hills Lavish Palette

This idea comes from a YouTuber named Dalen314 (check her out, here). I love watching her videos and thought this was a great idea in order to get some use out of my eyeshadow palettes. Basically every month I will focus on a different palette so that I actually use what I have! I'll also be able to decide if I even like the palette or if I should just... let it go (I sang that in my head, you know you did too). Last year I pretty much only used my Urban Decay Naked Palette, the original (THE. BEST.), so pretty much everything else has been neglected! Everything else will likely, also, be compared to that palette... That is the nature of the beast... 

I decided to start this at the end of January, so February was my first month. I chose my Anastasia Beverly Hills Lavish Palette. There are a couple reasons I chose this palette as my first...: 
  1. Anastasia products are HYPED (possibly even OVERLY HYPED) on YT. Every time there is a new palette it gets so much attention... And then it just disappears... Never to be heard of again. Now I know that most of the girls (and guys) who review these palettes are sent them for free and told to review and showcase "looks" with these palettes. But that doesn't mean their opinions aren't honest. Or does it? I wanted to see for myself...
  2. The colors in this palette sang to me, like a siren song... They sang "use meeeee, choose meeeee, review meeeee"... Lol. Seriously though, the colors are gorgeous.
  3. I was TIRED of neutrals. After an entire year of neutral, I needed a break. Plus, I love using color and often don't take the time because a neutral look can be so much easier and more convenient. 
  4. I had to start somewhere!
Top: Without Flash
Bottom: With Flash

My thoughts as I used my Lavish Palette...:
  1. Meh. At first I did not even remotely like these shadows. It took me a while to get used to them and how they blended (or more accurately how much more work it took to blend them). 
  2. It also took quite a bit of layering to achieve the level of opacity I wanted. In fact, the only way I got the colors to show up, how I expected them too, was if I used a cream shadow as a base. I would alternate between Maybelline Color Tattoos, Rimmel ScandalEyes eyeshadow sticks, and Laura Mercier Caviar sticks.
  3. The shades Ballet and Black Diamond were a waste for me. I wanted Ballet to be an opaque pink shade. It's no where close. It disappears on the lid and you just see a faint sparkle from the glitter. I didn't even use Black Diamond once. It just never seemed like it would mesh well with the other colors.
  4. Moss was also a bit of a let down. And it was one of the colors I was looking forward to using most. Even with a base, I just never got it to show up on my lid they way people showed it on Instagram. Ijs.
  5. However, the two shades that made using this palette even remotely worth it were Antique and Pink Sapphire. They are both GORGEOUS. Antique is, by far, my favorite. It is very similar to the shade Mushroom, by Urban Decay (I'm telling you, as of right now, they are my favorite eyeshadows). Pink Sapphire is similar to Last Call by, you guessed it, Urban Decay. While I did love this shade, I do want to say I still had to build it up and use a cream shadow underneath.
  6. Lastly, I LOVE how slim the packaging is on this. It makes it easy to use, store, and travel with.
Top: 1. Antique, ABH 2. Mushroom, UD. Left With Flash, Right Without.
Bottom: 1. Pink Sapphire, ABH 2. Last Call, UD. Left With Flash, Right Without.

Over all, I don't feel you should have to work so hard to make your eyeshadow "work" or show up. Yes, the colors look beautiful in the palette, but it takes a lot to make them look the same on your lids. If you don't mind spending the extra time in the morning blending away, this might be a palette for you. But if you need something that is effortless...No ma'am. If you missed out on this (I forgot to mention earlier, it was limited edition, like most Anastasia eyeshadow palettes) you aren't missing much... And if you really want similar shades but better color payoff, they can be found in other lines. All in all, if I had to judge all future Anastasia eyeshadow palettes based on this one, I won't be purchasing any. I will not be falling for the hype again... What about you? Have you had a similar experience with any Anastasia palette? Or do you disagree?? Let me know!
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment