Monday, September 29, 2014

Product Spotlight: Fresh Sugar Lip Polish


Happy Monday, everyone!!! It's a new week and today I've got a new product to talk about... Well new to me, that is. It's the Sugar Lip Polish by fresh

Here's the thing... I got a deluxe sample of this and two other fresh items for free when I placed a Sephora order online. I figured why not give it a shot, I LOVEEEE a good lip scrub. If you have read any of my past blog posts, you may have noticed I talk about a particular homemade recipe for one repeatedly. It is a Mint Cacao Scrub and it's THE perfect, ultimate, holy grail lip scrub to which all other lip scrubs are compared... Unfortunately for this particular one. 

I broke this little guy open about a week and half ago- yup, I'm bringing you a review THAT quickly- when I ran out of the one I had been using. I like to try new 
products out and I have been using the DIY recipe for almost 8 months now. Here's the "claims" straight from the source, fresh:
Photo taken from www.fresh.com
My initial reaction to the fresh polish was "this is not gritty enough". I get that this is supposed to be "gentle", but I didn't feel it doing anything. At all. How does this exfoliate??? My second thought was "why is it so oily???". I mean SUPER greasy feeling. Not a smoother, moisturized, hydrated feeling. More like a my-lips-are-covered-in-slimy-oil-feeling. Typically, I put on a lip scrub. Rub it in for about 30 seconds and then rinse it off. With this, I rubbed for about a minute and then spent another minute washing the grease off my chin. Ick. Lastly, I must mention the scent... Not good. It literally. Just. Smells. bad. Considering that the lips are directly below the nose, you'd think cosmetic companies would try to make all their lip products nasally appealing... or at the very least, UNSCENTED. Despite all these red flags and being the product junkie that I am, I continued to use the scrub over the next couple days...

And that's when I noticed TWO big problems. One, my lips were dry, chapped, and flaky. Unlike anything I have ever seen before. I was so uncomfortable and no amount of lip balm was curing my shedding, peeling, bleeding(!!!) lips (I even doubled up on my water intake to make sure I wasn't dehydrated, I was not). Now I have always liked to use a lip scrub because I love wearing lipstick which tends to dry out the lips. So I have occasionally had teeny-tiny flakes that I use my scrub to combat, but this... This was not teeny-tiny, these flakes were pea-sized. It was terrible. The second problem I had was a breakout, on my chin. Basically when I would try to wash this oily mess of my lips, it would seep down onto my chin. And apparently my chin was none too thrilled about this. It responded with those mountainous pimples that sit under the skin and do nothing but cause you pain. 

Needless to say, this scrub went straight into the trash. And a brand new homemade Mint Cacao scrub (recipe here) is sitting on my bathroom counter as we speak. I used it last night and already my lips are feeling better. I honestly have never had such a bad reaction to a product before. Has anything like this every happened to you? Let me know in the comments!!! Until next time... xoxoxo
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

*All reviews, opinions, and thoughts are my own. Just because a product does/doesn't work for me, does not mean the same will happen for you.*

No comments:

Post a Comment