Saturday, September 5, 2015

BBBC August: Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline

BBBC: Beauty Blogger Book Club
I cannot believe how quickly this summer flew by!!! It wasn't until the last week of the month that I realized I hadn't picked up the book for August, Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline (picked by Lisa from Blush and Back Roads) and realized I needed to get on that! 

August BBBC pick: Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Orphan Train is the story of an unlikely friendship that develops between two women, Vivian and Molly, who have both faced hardship and struggles in life due to the fact that they became orphans as young children. The book toggles between past and present telling both women's stories in a seamless manner. Molly, a teenage foster child, is sentenced to community service. Her boyfriend pulls some strings and she ends up at the house of a rich elderly woman, Vivian, to help clean out her attic. In the process she learns about Vivian's past and how the two of them are not so different after all.

As soon as I picked this book up, I got into it. I read the whole book in one day. It was THAT good. And if I'm being completely honest, I wasn't expecting it to be. The story intrigued me, but I didn't expect it to consume my day the way it did. Lol. I was amazed to learn that orphan trains actually existed and took children from cities in the east, like NYC, to the midwest for "adoption". The thought of what some, if not most, of what these children went through and survived amazes me. Some children were adopted by families that wanted a child, others went to family that wanted "indentured servitude" or, for lack of a better word, slaves. It makes me grateful for what I have and for what my kids have. But what truly captivated me about this novel was the friendship that developed. Even though Vivian is in her 90s and Molly is a teenager, they become friends. It just goes to show to you, age really ain't nothin' but a number!!! ;-)

Excellent pick, Lisa! Even if you are not into historical literature, this is an excellent read and I'd recommend it. Check out what the others thought:

Heather at Love To Be Busy

Next Month:

I had the distinct honor of choosing our book for September... So I had to go the YA route. Because that's what I love to read. I chose the book, I Was Here by Gayle Forman. I have read her books If I Stay (now a major motion picture) and it's sequel Where She Went. They were amazing. I'm (almost) ashamed to admit I read them both in ONE day. (I really am a book nerd.) I'm looking forward to I Was Here. Let me know if you have any recommendations!!! xoxoxo
post signature
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment